I talk to hundreds of Pastors every week and one thing that keeps coming up in our conversations is that, apparently, most Pastor’s do not have a clue how to write a blog post and get people interested in reading the posts after it is written.
These tips I am giving are not necessarily original, and I do not claim to be an expert on blogging, but here we go:
- Write a Great Title for Your Post - The title needs to be catchy and interesting otherwise who is going to read the content of the post. The title of your blog post becomes the title of your page (used in the Title Tag) so it’s important in Search Engine Optimization. Make sure your post title is compelling.
- Images - While it isn’t essential to use an image in your blog post, it does make the page look a bit more attractive and colorful – and images can be used to break up text, so that it doesn’t appear so long and drawn out. In addition, images can actually illustrate points. You can upload your own images, look for free or inexpensive stock photos online, or use well-known sites like Flickr.
- Writing Your Content - It may seem a bit strange, but the last thing you do is write your content. List your main points and then expound with just a paragraph or two. I know pastors like to make their point and are good at it, sometimes at great length. But in this case, less is more. Be to the point and don’t feel that you have to give a full explanation of every point. Keeping it short will help keep the curiosity level up and may even stir the reader to do some research on their own. And here I am getting a bit long.
- Include a Call to Action - The President of our company insists that when we make any kind of presentation or write an article or blog that we must have a call to action. And he is right. Yes, I do mean, tell your reader what to do next and why it will benefit them. To stir to action is what brings a person to a decision and that is why, for example, back in the olden days we gave an invitation to accept Jesus Christ at the end of every sermon preached. The call to action here is, follow these few short steps in writing your blog post and watch your readership increase.
- PS - For interest’s sake, add a PS. This can be a place to reemphasize the main point of the blog and restate the call to action. Most good letters and emails have a PS, so why not the blog post?
Well there you have it. A few tips on how to write a blog post. Good writing!! And may your readership increase.
Photo By: Shutterstock.com/ Oliver Hoffman